Warning: Illegal string offset 'width' in /homepages/28/d358518096/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/class.photon.php on line 473
Warning: Illegal string offset 'height' in /homepages/28/d358518096/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/class.photon.php on line 474
Today is a time to feel hopeful about the year to come, and grateful for the blessings of the year that just passed us by. The days are slowly getting longer, I have some time off from work, and some mental space to reflect on the previous 12 months. It’s been quite a year for me and for our family, with lots of adventures and ups and downs. Looking back on last December, I was just settling back into work after maternity leave and still struggling with the tail end of post-partum blues. This year, life feels much more hopeful and promising, and I wanted to share some of the highlights from the year with all of you!
- Watched my sweet baby boy grow from an infant to a full-fledged toddler who walks, talks, and tantrums with the best of them. It’s been amazing to see him express who he is in the world, and turn into an independent little guy with a life all of his own. His birth changed me forever, and I can’t wait to see who he becomes.
- Managed a major transition at work which meant bidding farewell to a wonderful mentor, embracing change, and landing in the absolute perfect role for me with a NEW great boss and a terrific team.
- Finally got serious about writing, and wrote over 25 blog posts, many about my own personal journey of hurt and healing. Thank you for reading and liking and commenting – it’s fun to have conversations about the important things in our lives in this space!
- Ran my first mile. And ran 14 more after that. Ran with my brother, in the cold, on the treadmill, and on the road. This is from a girl who walked the mile in the President’s Challenge in middle school and high school.
- Lost the last 5 pounds of baby weight. And then another 15 pounds I had been meaning to lose for 5 years. And the best thing about being in shape in your 30s is that you really appreciate it. In my 20s, I always wanted to be just a little more toned or just a few pounds lighter, but now I just enjoy the pay off of my hard work! Thank you Sweatbox for helping me find the athlete inside!
- Enjoyed a September adventure in southern California, celebrating friends’ wedding, visiting family and friends, and taking our nugget for his first bike ride on Venice Beach. While sleeping in a hotel room with our then-13-month old wasn’t the MOST fun, we did get to know the waitstaff at IHOP for early, early breakfasts and I wouldn’t trade the memories for the world.
- Welcomed armfuls of new babies into the world, many of whom have been much anticipated and all of whom are well-loved. I wish I had more time to snuggle them close while they are peanuts, but I love watching the extended family of friends continue to grow.
- Hit the road again for work visiting Chicago, New York, DC, and San Francisco (twice). Figuring out how to balance on the road, and stay connected to my sweetie and my nugget while I am away. That’s going to remain important for 2013.
- Joined the board of the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center, an organization that means so much to me for the services it provides to survivors of sexual assault and the community. It’s a privilege to serve the organization in this way with other dedicated board members, and I was touched and honored to be asked to speak at BARCC’s Champions of Change Gala this past November.
- Built out the concept for The Enliven Project as a campaign to end the shame and stigma of sexual violence. Every time I talk to someone about this initiative, I feel like I am in exactly the right place at exactly the right time.
Thank you for being a part of my 2012, and I look forward to the stories and memories we will create together in 2013!